Your wireless charger makes noise when not charging? The fast wireless charger makes high pitched or ticking noise when charging your phone?
Qi Wireless chargers make it much easier and much more convenient to charge your phone. But in some cases you may encounter the wireless charger making noise:
a weird sound or an high frequency noise coming from the wireless charger when it’s charging your phone, or even when it’s not charging your phone but it’s connected to power supply.
If you’ve also met this issue, check this post to figure out what causes this issue and try the best solutions introduced to fix it.
Table of Contents:
- Why Is Your Wireless Charger Making Noise
- Solutions to Fix a Sound/Noise from Your Wireless Charger
“Why is my wireless charger making noise when not charging?”
A sound or noise coming from your wireless charger could be a serious problem that you need to fix right away, or it’s just a normal working process.
Check the reasons why your wireless charger makes a high pitched/high frequency/ticking noise or a wired sound when it’s charging your phone or even when your phone is not on the wireless charger.
1. Some wireless chargers have a fan and an exhaust that makes a sound. They are built in the wireless charger to cool the charger to prevent overheating. When the wireless charger is working to charge a phone, you will hear a slight sound from the charger.
2. There is an inner conflict inside the wireless charger. Some wireless chargers have conflicts when it’s booting up once you connect it to power supply or when it’s lining up with the smartphone to do wireless charging. Therefore, you will find the wireless charger making noise.
3. Some wireless chargers wound make noise when it’s charging in the fast wireless charging mode, like 10W fast charging for Samsung phones or 7.5W fast charging for iPhones. It’s a sign or warning about heat too.
4. Your wireless charger can also make a weird noise or sound when it’s NOT charging. Cheap AC adapters cause this. Something goes wrong with the conversion of electric to mechanical energy with a low quality adapter. It’s the transition between AC and low voltage DC current. You will notice the noise or the sound when the device isn’t under load as the power supply will be running at a lower more audible frequency.
5. Bad/low quality is also one of the main causes for wireless chargers making noise. We’ve seen many readers had noise from low quality wireless chargers bought just not long ago.
6. Some components of your wireless charger are defective or broken, which causes the wireless charger making high pitched noise.
Many wireless chargers may have this issue – a wired sound or high pitched/high frequency/ticking noise coming from the wireless charger body. The known brands include Belkin and Samsung, only involved in some models.
Solutions to solve this wireless charger making noise problem are quite simple. If your wireless charger also makes a sound or noise, try the top solutions below.
Solution 1. Deactivate the Fan If There Is One
If there is a fan built in, you can try to deactivate it to turn off or reduce the noise. For example, to solve the Samsung wireless charger making noise, deactivate the fan – you need to turn off the fast wireless charging mode – tap Settings > Accessory on your phone, and then tap the fast wireless charging switch to turn it off.
Steps of deactivating the fan may vary a lot based on different brands. You may refer to the manufacturer for details.
Solution 2. Restart or Reset the Wireless Charger
If there is no fan but your wireless charger makes noise while it’s charging or once it’s connected to power supply, chances are that there are inner conflicts. A Restart or reset will shut off all the processes and conflicts, and will solve the making noise issue.
To restart or reset the wireless charger, just unplug the power adapter or the cable of the wireless charger and replug.
Solution 3. Turn Off Fast Wireless Charging
If your phone has the fast wireless charging option and you’re using a fast wireless charger, turn off the fast wireless charging option on your phone. Go to Settings > Accessory or Battery (based on which phone you’re using) and find the fast wireless charging option. Tap the switch to make it off.
Your phone can still be charged on the wireless charger in 5W standard wireless charging speed, and there is no noise any more.
Solution 4. Change the Power Adapter or the Cable for Your Wireless Charger
As mentioned in the first part, cheap or low quality power adapter could also cause your wireless charger making noise. You can buy a high quality one. Based on your charger, you may choose a Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 AC adapter or a 5V/2A wall adapter.
Also check our previous post: How to Select a Best AC Power Adapter for Your Wireless Charger.
Cables also fail more than you think. If using a new power adapter does not work, change the cable.
Solution 5. Get Your Wireless Charger Replaced or Buy a New High Quality One
Noise come mostly from low quality wireless chargers or the one whose components are broken. If all the solutions above do not work for your wireless charger, it could be a defective charger.
If your wireless charger is still under valid warranty, contact the seller or the manufacturer to replace it with a new one.
Or just get a new high quality wireless charger. There are many, and most of them are not pricey. We’ve tested more than 35 wireless chargers from different brands in the market, and we’ve used many of them for over 1 year without problems. Based on our test and experience, these Yootech, Anker, Seneo, CHOETECH, and Samsung wireless chargers are the best ones.
If your want a new one, consider one of them.
A wireless charger can make high pitched noise or high frequency noise or ticking noise when it’s charging or even not charging. You can easily figure out why your wireless charger makes noise and quickly solve the problem with the solutions above.
If you have any question about wireless chargers making noise, please leave it in the comment below.