Your wireless charger smelt burnt, like electronics melting or burning.
Burnt smell coming from your wireless charger definitely means something wrong, and you need to remove your phone from the wireless charger to prevent potential damage.
In this post, we’ve covered why your wireless charger smells burnt when it charges your phone, and how to fix this issue.
Table of Contents:
- Reasons Why There Is a Burnt Smell Coming from Your Wireless Charger
- Solutions to Fix Burnt Smell Coming from Your Wireless Charger
What would cause a burning smell when you use your wireless charger to charge your smartphone?
Below are the main reasons why your wireless charger smells burnt.
1. Water. The wireless charger gets wet because water or rain might get into the charger body, the cable, or the charging port.
2. Corrosion. If it’s an old or second-hand wireless charger, it may be corroded.
3. Cable problems. You use a wrong cable or the cable is defective. And there is a chance that the cable has a short.
4. Power adapter problems. The AC power adapter is defective, or it has a short. You might have used a wrong power adapter.
5. Overheating. This is one of the most common causes. Check what causes overheating from wireless chargers and how to fix it.
6. Coils not aligned correctly. The coils inside the wireless charger do not be aligned correctly with your phone’s wireless charging components. This will cause overheating and burnt smell coming from the wireless charger.
7. Low quality. You use a cheap and low-quality wireless charger to charge your smartphone.
8. Short circuit. There is a short in the wiring of your house.
Stop charging your phone when your wireless charger smells burnt, and try the solutions below to solve the issue.
1. Dry the wireless charger
If you believe water is the cause, dry the wireless charger as soon as possible. Workable fast solutions you can try are: put the wireless charger into a rice bag or place it into a hermetic bag with several desiccants inside.
2. Reset the wireless charger
Doing a reset on the wireless charger may help to shut down all the inner conflicts, which would help the wireless charger get back to work. To do this, unplug and Replug the cable. For more details, see How to Reset a Wireless Charger When It’s Not Working Correctly.
3. Change the power adapter or cable
Cables and power adapters are one of the main causes for wireless chargers not working correctly. Use another power adapter or cable for the wireless charger. You may check how to choose a correct power adapter for your wireless charger.
4. Fix the overheating problem
Getting too hot would cause burnt smell coming from the wireless charger. Try to cool down the charger by removing it to another place. Also check to see all the solutions to solve the overheating problem.
5. Reposition the phone
Reposition the phone onto the exact center of the wireless charger to get all the charging components aligned correctly.
If your phone does not have wireless charging built-in, use a high quality wireless charging receivers for the phone and then place the phone with screen facing up onto the exact center of the wireless charger.
You can also try to turn off your phone. Sometimes apps on the phone would interfere with the wireless charging process and this may cause the charging components not lining up.
6. Fix the inside of the wireless charger
If you bought the wireless charger at a local store, bring it to the seller to have a check inside. Or you can contact the seller online and send it back for repair. If the wireless charger is still under warranty, you won’t need to pay extra fees.
7. Buy a new high quality wireless charger
When it comes to wireless chargers, get a high quality one from top brands with good reputations, such as Yootech, Anker, Samsung, CHOETECH and Seneo. They are the top leaders in wireless charger industry.
8. Check your house wiring
Electric current issues may cause a short, which may cause your wireless charger not working correctly and smelling burnt. Have a whole check on the wiring. You may need professional help.
If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to leave it in your comment blow.